Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Thing 34 - Online Answer Sites

I think that the appeal of online answer sites is that you get a quick response to ready-reference-type questions. I saw a wide range of questions on the answer sites. For example, on AskExperts, I looked at tennis questions which tended to focus on techniques and skills. The person answering the questions listed who he was and his credentials. When I looked at an American history question, I wasn't as happy with the answers because the information given could be subject to discussion AND the person answering didn't give his credentials. When I looked at the answer site Mahalo Answers, many of the questions seemed to be practical like finding an architect in Santa Monica, or timely like when will a tv show finale run? I think that the more research-type questions would be best answered by libraries or known experts in the field (as long as they identify themselves). The questions seeking information that ages quickly like tv show listings and stock quotes would find the answers on the web.

I think the people who use these sites are a mixture of types. There are those who want to socialize with others by asking questions, those who don't know that their library has a "virtual front door," those who don't know or aren't affiliated with any library, and those seeking immediate answers because they feel the library's response will be too late.

I looked at the Slam the Boards website. I won't be able to attend the next event in time for this "More things on a stick" because it is after these activities end. I did not answer any questions on the site, I spent my time exploring the site and the threads.

No comments:

Post a Comment